Welcome to natural makeup pro-torials; a series where natural and toxin free makeup is used to create a fabulous look with a step by step at-home tutorial created by a professional makeup artist. My makeup is done by the lovely and talented Ananda McAdams, a professional makeup artist, stylist, and blogger who was kind enough to provide us with a step by step tutorial with links to the products she used. Check out the beautiful pictures on her fashion and beauty photo blog Chic Noire.
I used to be afraid of bright lipstick but always secretly wished I could rock red lips like Gwen Stefani. Alas, most style choices made by Gwen would look insane on the average person. But a more understated yet still vibrant red can be achieved with a soft pinup look; wing tip black liner, lots of mascara and a of course, the iconic red lip. Next stop, Pleasantville!
To achieve this look:
- Use a foundation brush or fingers to apply a primer to the face. I am currently obsessing over Jane Iredale primer – it smells like fruit!
- Use your favorite brush or fingers to apply a tinted moisturizer to the face (optional: mix in some highlighter for an extra dewy complexion.
- Grab your favorite concealer and apply where needed. (common concealer musts are under the eyes for those tricky dark circles, around the nose and mouth, and any needed spot treatment)
- Apply bronzer just under the cheek bones and around the orbital area of the eye to contour the face
- Use your favorite blush to kiss the apples of your cheeks
- Prime the lids with your favorite primer
- Apply a light shimmery white or nude eyeshadow (we used the white in the beautiful smoke palate) all over the eye lid just stopping at the crease
- Add a medium brown (we used the bottom left brown color in the beautiful smoke palate) to the crease for contour
- Use a dark brown pencil (we used chocolate) to line the inner upper and lower lash line and then smudge out with a angled or tapered brush
- With liquid or gel liner (we mixed the powder liner with water to create a gel and then applied with an eyeliner brush), apply an angled line that starts fairly thin towards the inner part of the eyelid and gradually gets thicker as the line moves towards the outer eyelid. Add a wingtip if desired
- Apply two coats of black or dark brown mascara
- Accentuate brows with a pencil and fill in any empty space with a brow powder
- Apply a red lipstick (we used desire) all over the lip
- Layer on a red gloss for extra shine and color
And Voila. You’re pin-up ready!
1. jane iredale smooth affair facial primer and brighter
2. jane iredale dream tint tinted moisturizer
3. josie maran argan illuminizer
4. bareMinerals correcting concealer
5. jane iredale just kissed lip an cheek stain
6. josie maran argan beautiful eyes in beautiful smoke
7. ecotools eyeliner brush
8. bareMinerals shadowliner in onyx
9. oragnic wear mascara in ultra black
10. jane iredale puregloss lipgloss in crabapple
11. honeybee gardens lipstick in desire
note: I was provided with some of the products used in this tutorial. All opinions are my own.